These are a staple dessert in Canada for our family. If you haven't tried them and you like sugary desserts we highly recommend doing Canada a solid and adding these into your dessert rotation!
1 cup butter, softened, divided
5 tbsp cocoa powder
¼ cup white sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 ¾ cups gluten free graham cracker crumbs
1 cup coconut
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons custard powder (or vanilla pudding)
2 cups icing sugar
4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet baking chocolate
2 teaspoons butter
1. MELT together 1/2 cup butter, cocoa powder and sugar on low heat (if you have a double boiler that works best but we don't have one and they work great). Stir until butter is fully melted
2. BEAT in egg and stir until thick (about 2 mins)
3. REMOVE from heat and mix in cracker crumbs & coconut. Press into the bottom an an 8x8 ungreased pan (or you can use 2 Meal Cubes). Place in fridge until ready for layer 2.
4. BEAT remaining 1/2 cup butter, cream and custard powder until fluffy. Mix in icing sugar until smooth and spread over the bottom layer in the pan. Chill to set.
5. MELT chocolate and 2 tsps of butter together over low heat.
6. Spread melted chocolate mixture over chilled bars. Let the chocolate set before cutting.
7. Store in Meal Cubes...if there is anything left to store! These freeze well too.
Comments will be approved before showing up.