1. Preheat the oven to 425. lightly rub 1 tsp olive oil to the butternut squash, then lightly season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and roast for 45-50 minutes. Set aside to let cool once done.
2. Heat the remaining olive oil in a soup pot on medium heat and add the onions. Saute for 3-4 minutes and then add garlic. Saute for another minute or two until fragrant.
3. Place the onions & garlic in a blender with 1/2 cup vegetable broth until pureed. Add back to the soup pot.
4. Puree squash in a blender with 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth and then add to the soup pot.
5. Stir in remaining vegetable broth, maple syrup and cinnamon. Mix well and allow to simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the butter to melt. Serve with our fave scone recipe!